Re: OpenBSD support

In article <21832.919988069@hurl.cygnus.com> you write:

>[ I should have sent this out about a week ago. ]
>
>The egcs compiler now includes OpenBSD support for the Alpha, SPARC,
>i386 and m68k processors.  Support for these platforms was donated by
>Marc Espie.  Additional OpenBSD platforms will be added in the future.
>

>Thanks Marc!

You're welcome. I would like to use this occasion to thank a few people
as well. Due to obvious copyright assignment reasons I'm the author of
those config files, but I want to thank all my fellow OpenBSD developpers
who spent quite a few hours building & rebuilding egcs snapshots, sending
me traces, trying variations, until I managed to fix things (or giving me
spec snippets relevant to their specific arches).

I also want to thank all the people in the egcs project who humored me
with answers to some of my very silly questions, most of all, Jeff, whom
I've annoyed time & time again with emails...

For the technical part, the OpenBSD configuration files are very similar
to the NetBSD behavior, but I've rewritten more or less everything, cleaned
up a few details along the way, and tweaked a few parameters. Most significant
is that all OpenBSD platforms do use the same base files, including the arches
you've not seen yet.

The remaining platforms have a few details to iron out yet. More often than
not, they don't build cleanly because of genuine problems with the current
snapshot where one specific architecture is concerned (rs6000, mips...) or
simply because the OpenBSD system is not quite completed yet (m88k, hppa).

As far as the OpenBSD project goes, my current work is aimed at making
egcs a drop-in replacement for our current gcc 2.8.1 setup.  We won't
switch to an egcs in the 1.1.x series as there are large problems with
respect to code size (we depend on cramming many things on the boot floppy),
and we have to wait for a stable 1.2 release as the snapshots, even though
they're mostly stable, are definitely not fit for production work.