Re: BuildError f/g77.info

In article <19990218201543.29649.qmail@deer> you write:
>Also, I've not written this down as a to-do item, but I'm going to now:
>I believe the other problem is that egcs 1.0 and 1.1 relegate building
>the Info docs to the *installation* phase (`make install'), whereas
>that should be done as part of the *build* phase.  I'd like this to
>be fixed for egcs 1.2, barring evidence that it can't or shouldn't
>be done for some reason.

There might be a small reason, namely that some gnu coding standards (gnits ?)
state that documentation installation should be separate from normal
installation.

Looking thru the Makefiles, I still can see some evidence of that,
such as the doc target being  separate from the main build, and invoked
only at the install-info/install stage.

I guess that the specific state of egcs (with make bootstrap) further
muddles the issue.

I believe it would be a good idea to check thoroughly how other gnu packages
handle the same problem. Maybe the normal `bootstrap targets', as they're
something  of a `all-in-one item', should handle building info as well ?
But it's probably not quite right, unless proper documentation building
truely requires it, to lump documentation building with normal building
proper...