Re: Size Weirdness in Snapshots

  In message <36CA56A2.97B17C5B@aasaa.ofe.org>you write:
  > What more do you need than g++ -v, the command line used, and the
  > program? (Not trying to be sarcastic, but I don't know what you're
  > looking for.)
Well, you're assuming that I can either guess from your command lines why
something is larger, or that I have some magical program which can read a
binary you give me.  Depending on your system I may or may not have such
a magic utility.

Far better for you to look at these things yourself since you have the binary,
and utilities which can look at the size of the various sections within the
binary.

  > Well, I downloaded egcs 1.1.1 and installed that as an alternate
  > compiler. It produced about the same size program as the most recent
  > snapshot. Investigating further, the egcs 1.1.1 that came with Debian is
  > heavily hacked, including H.J. Lu's Linux patches, and a number of other
  > patches. Since the difference is not between straight Egcs 1.1.1 and a
  > snapshot, it's too much work for me to bother with.
EH, debugging & shared libraries again.

run objdump -h on the big and small versions of your program.  Then look
at the output for sections which are much better in one than the other.

Also verify that each version is linked in the same manner (either statically
or dynamically).

jeff