Re: Keywords: who ecgs-1.1.1 glibc-2.0.7

In a message dated 2/16/99 9:25:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chad@Gneiss.geology.wisc.edu writes:

<< After tackling the quest of converting to glibc from libc5, much
 hair-pulling & frustration, I finally thought I had a stable working
 combination of egcs and glibc only to find that 'who', 'w', and others do
 not work correctly.  'who' and other programs that are looking for users,
 like 'talk', cannot see all the logged in users.  Strangely enough, when
 an xterm is spawned it's user can be seen with w/who/talk.  I remember
 seeing messages in a list archive addressing this issue but cannot find
 them again.  Any ideas would be much appreciated, and apologies if this is
 misdirected.
 -Chad >>
I'm sure I'm a minority opinion, but I went the other way, seeing that
egcs/g77 is closer to bullet-proof running under libc5.  As others have seen,
egcs somehow detects the gnulibc1 possibility when you have some of each
present, and that hasn't bothered me.  When a package dependent on libc5
doesn't run, I re-install it, and so far that seems to work, without impacting
egcs.  The mysterious consequences of mixing varieties under linux (not to
mention Windoze).