Re: egcs and linux

> Linux is a _very_ important platform for egcs.  Egcs _really_ should
> be able to work on linux without any patches.

Yes, ideally we should try to achieve this.

> Today 1.1.1 doesn't work properly on linux without H.J.'s patches.

Statements like this aren't that useful.  The real story is that there
are problems caused by the interaction of specific versions of libc and
libstdc++ that show up in specific circumstances.  HJ would get less
resistance to his patches if clearly described test cases were available
and added to the testsuite.  Or people could come up with cleaner patches
to solve the problems.

The problems would then show up as failures when people ran the tests,
and we wouldn't be surprised by them after the release.

> IMHO 1.1.2 should not be released at all, before it will work on linux
> without patches.

You can help achieve this by submitting test cases that cause the existing
snapshot to fail and describing the failures.