Re: Stabilization status

At 15:49 04.02.99 , H.J. Lu wrote:
>> powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1       Untested
>
>I was horried to find out we have powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1
>and powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu. They use different ABIs. But they
>use the same specs. The result is binaries compiled on
>powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1 won't run on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu,
>and vice versa.
>
>We have the same problem with Linux on x86, alpha, sparc and m68k
>when we change ABIs. We solved this by using a different specs so
>that the old binary will run on the new system and vice versa, as
>long as the necessary dynamic linker and shared libraries are
>available. Why didn't we do it on PPC? It is very bad for Linux
>and egcs.
>
>BTW, glibc 2.1 has the same problem. May I propose to fix it in
>egcs and glibc before it is too late? I can provide patches for
>both if necessary.

AFAIK this was a decision on purpose, so there's no need to change
anything. Geoff has done the bincompat package, which can be used to binary
patch glibc-1.99 based executables, so they will work on glibc-2.1.

Our goal on PPC is to phase out glibc-1.99 ASAP, and there will be a
distribution ready as soon as Uli releases glibc-2.1.

Franz.