Re: C++: <limits> and enquire

> I haven't seen any discussion of this on the libstdc++ mailing list,
> so I figured I'd bring it up here to verify my understanding of gcc's
> role in this process.
>
> So, have I got it right?

I think so. libstdc++ v3 <limits> reads stl/bits/std_limits.h, which
in turn says:

/* NOTE: This is not portable code.  Parts of numeric_limits<> are
 * inherently machine-dependent, and this file is written for the MIPS
 * architecture and the SGI MIPSpro C++ compiler.  Parts of it (in
 * particular, some of the characteristics of floating-point types)
 * are almost certainly incorrect for any other platform.
 */

So this indicates that there still is work to be done. CHECKLIST says

    [Note: must produce these by hand for each target, choose
     correct file for target during configure/installation.]
M   [Generator for numeric_limits instantiations for targets.]
M   [numeric_limits instantiations for x86, SPARC, SPARC64]

I don't fully understand this comment. Apparently, they plan to give
pre-manufactured versions of numeric_limits. I'd think that enquire
is more powerful if done right.

Regards,
Martin