Re: $tooldir

On Jan 31, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:

>   In message <orhftducc1.fsf@araguaia.dcc.unicamp.br>you write:
>> > Your suggested change would have the effect of overriding the configured
>> > assembler during bootstraps.

>> Wouldn't that be good?  Then, it would use the build-tooldir as even
>> though it was not installed it.  I agree that this might have other
>> unwanted side-effects, though.

> Well, I thought the whole idea of that built-in name was to override
> everything.  Maybe I misunderstood the original intentions of including
> a pathname for the assembler in the first place.

Yep, the original idea was that, but then I found out it was not such
a good idea because it was not possible to override the hard-coded
names, whereas it is possible to override any other hard-coded path.
Maybe assuming -B is supposed to override it is not a good idea, and
we should just add new flags to allow the user to specify the linker
and the assembler names.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}