Re: How do I compile libg++ for egcs?

On Fri, 8 January 1999, 19:45:50, chj@lin.foa.se wrote:

 > I have a Red Hat Linux 5.2/Intel system with gcc-2.7.2.3-14 and egcs-1.0.3a-14
 > installed. I would like to use the well implemented pseudo random numbers and
 > I once did that using libg++'s RNG.
 >
 > Now, I find that you have a "non-maintained" src distrib of libg++ made to
 > work with egcs as I understand it, cf.
 >
 > ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/infrastructure/libg++-2.8.1.2a-19981218.tar.gz
 >
 > and here's my question. How can I compile it?

Simply follow what's written in README.libg++ that comes with the package.

 > Naively, I unpacked the distrib and went down the libg++ dir. There, I noticed
 > that there was no configure file but a configure.in was available. Thus, I ran
 > autoconf and to my surprise the "generated" configure file was empty.

Not  surprising,  as this particular  configure.in  is from the Cygnus
configure line and not from the autoconf one...

 > I then remembered seeing that one's supposed to unpack the distrib under the
 > egcs src tree and then, in one sweep, configure and build both egcs-1.* and
 > libg++-2.8.*. OK, that's fine, of course, but I would actually like to be able
 > to build libg++ without having to unpack and configure the egcs parts. Can I
 > actually configure and build libg++ "standalone"?

No.

 > Oh, as a way out, perhaps there's a newer c++ implementation out there that
 > provides similar functionality. If you do know of such freely available, and
 > re-distributable packages, please enlighten me.
 >
 > TIA,
 >

 > --
 > Christian Jönsson                                   chj@lin.foa.se
 > Sweden's Defence Research Establishment
 > Dep't of Communication Systems                      FOA 72

Later,
manfred

--
 Manfred Hollstein       If you have any questions about GNU software:
 Hindenburgstr. 13/1                   <mailto:manfred@s-direktnet.de>