testsuite removal

> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:46:38 -0700
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>

> One of the things that you'll see changing in 1999 is the testsuite status.
> It's going to fall under the same legal umbrella as the rest of the compiler --
> ie, it'll be GPL'd and copyrighted by the FSF.  Significant contributions will
> have to be assigned to the FSF.

> The existing testsuite will have to be removed from the distributions.  The
> tenative plan is to ask folks to review the existing testsuite for tests which
> we can migrate into the offical testsuite and migrate as many tests as
> possible.

Could you say more or send me the thread where this was discussed.  I
don't think we can stomach loosing 7 years of testcase collection, nor
do I think we should.  This sounds like a really bad idea.

Also, people are not going to be able to assign testsuites to the FSF,
as some of them contain very significant amounts of code and asking
management to assign product to the FSF isn't going to fly easily.
This will just lead to a reduction in test case submittal.  There will
also be a fear factor in sending in a bug report, which I don't
welcome.

Now there might be some ways to reduce the pain...  One is to retain
the non FSF testcases someplace so that we can continue testing with
them.  When they are < 10% of the mass of the testsuite, then removing
them might be more reasonable.

Can you state why this is being changed?  (FSF legal fears for example?)

Thanks.