Re: NO_DOLLAR_IN_LABEL

> Because the current value of NO_DOLLAR_IN_LABEL is meaningless.
> It says 'we don't want g++ to use DOLLAR', whereas it looks as if
> it says 'our assembler does not support DOLLAR'.

Well, I see no reason why we need to distinguish these situations,
as long as we anyway have to support assemblers that don't *allow* '$',

> There is no working proposal for such an encoding. Please propose one.

I have proposed such an encoding.  See gcc/cp/gxxint.texi.
(That is not to say that I will make any claims that that is
particularly good encoding.)

> All assemblers I've tried (gas and Solaris 2.5.1 /usr/ccs/bin/as)
> define NO_DOLLAR_IN_LABEL, yet support it. Which major platforms don't
> support it?

But "major platforms" is not the issue.  Most or all major platforms
support gas.  The issue is what we are doing for minor platforms.
Personally, I don't really care if we start requiring an assembler
that accepts '$'.  Some people might care, though.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner