Import from gcc2

As I mentioned a week or two ago, I'm getting started on a merge from gcc2.

We haven't done a merge since June, but the gcc2 tree does not change all
that rapidly, so it's not going to be as hairy as one might think.

Furthermore, for various reasons we'll only be merging up to the Sept 29
snapshot.  So instead of 6 months of changes, we're only merging in 3 months
of changes.

The primary feature we'll get from this merge is the i18n support that went
into gcc2.

I'll be importing the gcc2 code tonight, but I won't be checking in the merged
tree for a few days (earliest should be Mon/Tues unless the merge is trivial).

You may notice some new files appear.  Do not be alarmed, it's normal behavior
from a cvs import.

I'm also on the road with limited net access for the next few days.  Response
times will change accordingly.

jeff