Re: FWD: FLOATING-POINT CONSISTENCY, -FFLOAT-STORE, AND X86

>  Sun's does something similar to -ffloat-store by default (gee,
>look at how fast that ultra is)

Let me see if I understand the above, by translating it, and perhaps
helping continue to clarify the picture....

"Sun's compiler[s] effectively default to -ffloat-store on x86
machines, which not only increases consistency between x86 and
UltraSPARC executables under Solaris, but has the wonderful side
effect of making UltraSPARCs compare more favorably to x86 than
they would if they didn't make the x86's go through the extra
store/reload hoop for each assignment to a floating-point variable
to achieve this consistency."

In any case it is really wonderful to see all the commentary now
taking place over this issue.  I'm quite certain most of the
participants know more than I do about the issues -- probably all
of them.  That's probably the best thing about working on software
like egcs.

        tq vm, (burley)