Re: egcs, Irix6 linking o32-libiberty.a with n32-stage2/3 binaries ...

  In message <199812072134.QAA26942@caip.rutgers.edu>you write:
  >  > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
  >  >
  >  >   > If we add -n32, people that have old versions of the SGI C compiler
  > won't
  >  >   > be able to build egcs anymore.  However, I suspect that few people h
  > ave
  >  >   > these old and buggy SGI C compilers anymore.
  >  > We can always have autoconf test for -n32 when building with the native
  >  > compiler and fall back to something else.
  >
  > 	But what exactly do you fall back on if -n32 doesn't work?  I.e.
  > assuming I have a pre-7.1 compiler, I am now unable to build egcs when we
  > try to link with libiberty.a (assuming the redundant libiberty functions
  > had been out of the gcc sources.)
Seems to me you fall back to a cross compiler-like setup.  ie, you build
a cross compiler and install it.  That compiler can then be used to bootstrap
a native compiler.

Again, that's what we effectively have when the host compiler builds something
that is not compatible with what gcc produces.  A cross compiler that happens
to be able to run on the host machine.

I would expect the cases where we need to do this are small.  Even with systems
like hpux11 coming online.

jeff