Re: Building AIX cross-compiler requires -bbigtoc

  In message <9812071803.AA38172@marc.watson.ibm.com>you write:
  > 	Nearly all of the GCC backends require the -bbigtoc flag to
  > overcome TOC overflow when they are linked on AIX.  When building a native
  > compiler, BOOT_LDFLAGS takes care of this during bootstrapping.  When
  > building a cross compiler, BOOT_LDFLAGS is never used.
  >
  > 	Because XLC requires -bbigtoc and GCC requires -Wl,-bbigtoc, the
  > compiler being used for the build determines what option is required.
  > However, languages other than C need GCC, so GCC would seem to be a
  > requirements for building a cross-compiler.
  >
  > 	It would be nice if building the cross-compiler always used
  > BOOT_LDFLAGS so that using the correct LDFLAGS would be automatic, but I
  > do not see any convenient place to enforce that substitution.  Any
  > suggestions?
So, basically anything we're building something hosted on AIX with we need the
bigtoc stuff and the flag changes based on the compiler, right?

I hate to say it, but it may be a case where we have to do some gross
case $CC in ...  to change the flags based on the compiler.

And it'll either need to go in the toplevel config directory or in one
of the x- files in the rs6000 subdir.  Yuk.

jeff