Re: How to clean up i386 machine description?

  In message <199811122030.UAA18085@phal.cygnus.co.uk>you write:
  > > Special patterns for inc/dec is ok, but which_alternative cannot
  > > handle implementation specific instruction selection.
  >
  > special patterns for inc/dec are actually a problem; they should not be
  > enabled before reload.
Can you state precisely why?  There are ports that have special patterns
to increment registers that don't have to worry about reload problems.

  > If you need to order instruction alternatives differently for different
  > CPUs or use different constraint modifiers so that the alternative
  > selection is changed, currently the only way is to have different
  > patterns for the different CPUs.
  > I'm afraid this doesn't sound like much of a cleanup...
I disagree.  We want to move the x86 port away from depending on reload to
clean things up.

Jeff