Re: suggest gcc option -Wallall to add absolutely every -W* option

On Nov 17, 1998, Joern Rennecke <amylaar@cygnus.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Do something radical: Use -Wall. It is supposed to turn on _all_ warnings,
>> > isn't it?
>>
>> Nope, it's supposed to turn on most useful warnings, but not all of
>> them.

> Hmmm, how about renaming -Wall to -Wgnu ?

Renaming a widely used option is never a good idea...  We must find a
new name for the new option, no matter how misleading the existing
option name is.  How about accepting a number after -W, so that one
could ask the compiler to be more or less picky?  -W0 would be no
warnings, -W1 the default, -W2 == -Wall, -W3 == -W -Wall, and -W99
would enable all possible warnings.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org.au}