Re: PRE in gcse.c

   Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:17:07 -0700
   From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

   I don't think __builtin_expect itself is all that useful -- what is
   more useful is the mechanisms to take unlikely code and pull it
   away from the main code for a function.

I think it is, at one point I experimented with them on some hot code
paths in the TCP implementation of the Linux kernel just for the
effect of setting the branch prediction bits correctly on UltraSparc.
The performance gains were significant for benchmarks which exercised
these code paths.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com