Re: Sun compares their compiler tools to GNU tools

Gerald Pfeifer writes:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Colin Douglas Howell wrote:
> > Sun has published a marketing comparison of their compiler suite,
> > Visual WorkShop C++ 3.0, with the GNU compiler tools.  See the URL:
> >
> > 	http://www.sun.com/workshop/visual/
>
> Shall we add some official reply from EGCS developers and testers) to our
> web page?
>
> Gerald
>
> BTW, the page at the URL above is ridiculous, and this is the main page
> of that product! No link to more detailed information is evident.
>
>  . What's ``the latest from GNU'' in ``We examined the performance of the
>    Sun C and C++ compilers, comparing them with the latest from GNU''?
>
>  . Customer application (C code)  7%-30%
>    No source code available? What does the range mean?

To be fair to Sun, they do give more information.  I gave that URL
because it was where the initial blurb for "Sun vs. GNU" was made.
The detailed white paper is accessible from the 3 links just under the
"What's Hot!" heading:

		NEW Moving to Sun Visual WorkShop: A
                How and Why Transition Guide for GNU
                Developers
                HTML | PS | PDF

The words "HTML | PS | PDF" are the links and provide the white paper
in three different formats.

The customer application mentioned is described in the white paper.

Also the phrase "latest from GNU" is a bit disingenuous, if not
downright wrong.  Most of their comparisons are against egcs 1.0.1;
one is against gcc 2.7.2.2.  Hardly the latest.

--
Colin Douglas Howell                    Systems Administrator
e-mail:  howell@cs.stanford.edu         Computer Facilities Group