Re: Identifying the EGCS back-end

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov  4, 1998, Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure of one.  We have a way to identify when you're building
> > soemthing with egcs (version #s), but I don't know of a way to
> > identify when you're building gpc inside an egcs tree.
>
> Why should it be any different?  It would always be compiled with the
> already-compiled xgcc, wouldn't it?

Not always.  If someone is just compiling GPC (and not GCC) with
his already-installed (g?)cc, GPC gets compiled by cc.

The point is that GPC has to be linked against parts of the GCC
back-end.  Under EGCS and GCC2, the parameter lists of some
functions are different.  GPC must take this into account, no
matter which compiler it is being compiled with.

> Another option is to test for
> egcs features in config-lang.in, grepping header files or such...

Yes, that's possible.  But I would consider this a non-clean
solution unless there is something that identifies EGCS without
any doubt.

Hm ... and what shall `config-lang.in' do then?  Create yet
another `.h' file which either contains `#define EGCS' or just
nothing?  That would work, but I can imagine that there is a
more elegant solution.

    Peter

--
Peter Gerwinski, Essen, Germany, http://home.pages.de/~Peter.Gerwinski/