Re: egcs and exceptions

Alexandre wrote:

> You know...  The more I think about these options that require the
> whole library to be rebuilt, the more I believe we should require them
> to be specified at some point in compile-time in order to enable them
> at run-time.  Perhaps some additional configure switch that causes
> them to be used to build the library and enables the switch by
> default, or something that causes multilibs to be created to support
> both variants (enabled and disabled) of the particular flag...

I can only support that comment. I have tried to run the bench++ suite
with -sjlj once (maybe Feb-1998) and it was _hard_ to figure out
- what has to be built with that flag
- and how to reliably do that without having to edit the Makefiles
(that's what I ended up doing).

At one point I had most of the things together, but still some of the
tests crashed (and I wasn't sure if it was another goof of yours truly
or a bug in the EH of egcs).

IMHO things like -fnew-abi or -fsjlj-exceptions should be a
configuretime option (setting them to be the default and building all
the runtime stuff with the Right Flags).

-- kga
Klaus-Georg Adams        Email: Klaus-Georg.Adams@chemie.uni-karlsruhe.de
Institut f. Anorg. Chemie, Lehrstuhl II            Tel: 49(0)721 608 3485
Universität Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe