Re: alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d: gas and ld not supported? (fwd)

Forward of a binutils bug report. (Thanks Ian for your detailed reply!)

This means that EGCS cannot process template heavy C++ code on this
platform (Digital ld is broken, GNU ld does not fully support that
platform).

Unless EGCS and libstdc++ are already built with -fsquangle, that is,
something which is not mentioned in the installation instructions and
actually not really supported.

In my opinion, squangling should be enabled by default rather soon than
later.

I am well aware of the implications of breaking binary compatibility, but
just consider all these bug reports and enquiries we get with regard to
similiar problems under Solaris and further platforms.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/