Re: egcs 1.1b *-rtems

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981012131914.9613N-100000@oar3remote.oarcorp.com>you write:
>   > I needed the patch below my signature to get egcs 1.1b to work with RTEMS.
>   >
>   > I think all newlib targets need a similar patch.
>   >
>   > I would appreciate some commentary on it.
>   >
>   > Mon Oct 12 13:29:17 CDT 1998  Joel Sherrill (joel@OARcorp.com)
>   >
>   >        * Makefile.in: do not install assert.h if not desired.
>   >        * config/t-rtems: do not install assert.h -- use newlib's.
> Don't you just need the t-rtems change?
>
> That should override INSTALL_ASSERT_H in the generated Makefile, which should
> prevent install-headers from depending on install-assert-h.

This did override INSTALL_ASSERT_H in the generated Makefile.  But doing
this does not prevent the assert.h part of the stanza stmp-fixinc in
Makefile.in from being executed.  It prevents the stanza install-assert-h
from running. It is possible that the path I conditionalized in
Makefile.in should not be there and the install-assert-h stanza alone
should do the install of assert.h.  This would also fix the problem.

My impression was that something was inconsistent in the way the
INSTALL_ASSERT_H feature was installed.

I felt uncomfortable removing the assert.h code from stmp-fixinc since
this impacted every target.  If you are more comfortable doing that, I am
happy with that solution.  If that is the intent, it is the more correct
solution.

--joel