Re: NEC 78400 (78K.IV)

  In message <199810111918.VAA03751@ignucius.axis.se>you write:
  >  Historically, it has been a bit of a hassle to port GCC to
  > generate code for a less-than-32-bit target system.
Pre-history.  GCC has been dealling with 16bit machines for a while
now.  The h8 and mn102 are still active (unlike the pdp11, 1750a and dsp16xx).

Usually the biggest problem with supporting 16bit ports is a lack of registers,
segmented addresses, and 16bit targets with 24bit addresses.

  > Eh, how much work?  Let's say a couple of months for starters;
  > it "depends".
It "depends" is about as precise as anyone can get :-)  The closer any new
chip resembles an existing port the faster one can get a port going.

Probably the simplest port I did took a month to get it up and functional
from the compiler's standpoint.  Others have taken many months.

jeff