Re: libstdc++.a in gcc-lib?

  In message <199810091708.KAA07984@iago.ultimatech.com.ultimatech.com>you write:

  > > If you need to run multiple versions of gcc or egcs, the simplest way
  > > to do it is to install them in completely separate trees.  You can
  > > cause this to happen with the "--prefix=/some/special/directory"
  > > argument to configure.  I always install large packages like gcc,
  > > egcs, emacs, gdb, and perl into directories like:
  > >
  > > 	/usr/local/packages/egcs-1.1b
  > >

  > Yes. I am using --prefix now. I am just curious because it seems that
  > gcc's -V mechanism and the gcc-lib/<platform>/<version>/ structure
  > is doing the same thing. If libstdc++.a is in the same place as
  > libgcc.a, I can say
There is an option to put libstdc++ in the same directory as libgcc, but I
wouldn't recommend you use it without seriously considering the consequences.

Like what happens if you build it as a shared library, then delete the
compiler one day...  Poof, any program which used that shared library will
stop working.

jeff