Re: `configure' slightly broken in texinfo tree

Jeffrey A Law writes:

>   > I'm sure everyone knows this already, but in 1.1b-release and in the
>   > latest CVS sources as of about 2000 GMT, `configure' in the texinfo
>   > tree is somewhat broken.
> Not exactly.  You're the first to report this problem.

I think it must be my fault, somehow; it's so damned obvious I'd have
thought it would have been fixed ages ago if everyone got it.

> What exactly is wrong?

The symptom is simple: upon typing `configure' (yes, even straight
`configure' without any options at all), you get this:

: Configuring for a i586-pc-linux-gnu host.
: Created "Makefile" in /usr/packages/egcs/egcs/snapshot/i586-pc-linux-gnu using "mt-frag"
: warning: $(datadir)/texmf: Unrecognized variable construct `$('.
: warning: $(datadir)/texmf: Unrecognized variable construct `$('.
[428 lines identical with the above snipped]
: warning: $(datadir)/texmf: Unrecognized variable construct `$('.
: warning: $(datadir)/texmf: Unrecognized variable construct `$('.
: ../../egcs/texinfo/configure: datadir: command not found
: Links are now set up to build a native compiler for i586-pc-linux-gnu

This has only been verified in a parallel build tree, because I don't
go in for polluting trees with configure info unless I absolutely
must. (In any case, parallel trees is the recommended way for egcs,
IIRC.)

I'm using bash-2.02.1(1)-release, with just-about-everything enabled.

It looks to me like the trivial two-character patch I submitted fixes
it, but I may well be wrong.

>                         A patch without a problem description is generally
> not going to be installed unless it is obviously correct.

This is entirely laudable; I had flu when I sent off the original
description, so I forgot. My error - I shouldn't do egcsery when I'm
ill :)

--
`Suppose I manufacture band-aids. I sell them under the following
 license: "Buyer agrees to apply product only to his or her own body."'