Re: CPP_PREDEFINES

[Courtesy copy of Usenet posting]
J.H.M. Dassen <jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl> wrote:
>Dejan Muhamedagic <dejan@yunix.co.yu> wrote:
>>imake doesn't work anymore because it depends on the architecture as well
>>as the platform.
>
>This is fixed in egcs (http://egcs.cygnus.com).

It has been pointed out to me that this isn't really true. An earlier
version of egcs (1.0.3 IIRC), had fixed this, but the __i386__ has been
removed again in 1.1.

In packaging 1.1 for Debian, I noticed a similar problem for alpha:
gcc/config/alpha/linux.h doesn't put -D__alpha in CPP_PREDEFINES .

While there may be valid reasons for cleaning out CPP_PREDEFINES, I think
this issue should be addressed in the egcs FAQ, and a suggestion for a
workaround for imake be included.

Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch