Re: jc1 won't build on SunOS 4.1.3: memmove is missing

> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 00:50:41 -0600
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

>   In message <199809162213.PAA17779@kankakee.wrs.com>you write:
>   > Ok, Jeff, are you accepting code for the Java frontend?  I just
>   > assumed that you would...  I checked out the home page for java, and
>   > it didn't seem to have anything to say on the matter.
>   >
>   > What's the scope?
> I believe this was discussed in the announcement.

I see:

> September 6, 1998
>
> We're happy to announce public availability of a new GCC based native
> code compiler for the Java(TM) language.
>
> The new GNU based compiler, GCJ, compiles both Java source files and
> bytecode compiled Java class files to native code for a wide range of
> target architectures.
>
> GCJ is a work in progress.  We're also working on the set of runtime
> libraries needed for executing GCJ compiled code, and extensions to
> GDB, the GNU debugger, for debugging GCJ compiled code.
>
> Full details are available on the GCJ web pages:
>
>      http://sourceware.cygnus.com/java/
>
> Anthony Green
> Cygnus Solutions
>

> Java and all Java-based marks are trademarks or registered trademarks
> of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other
> countries. The Free Software Foundation and Cygnus Solutions are
> independent of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Was that the announcement you were thinking of?  If it was, I'm still
not sure what part of it you are referring to.  If not, maybe you can
provide a pointer to it, or who posted it.

This isn't a big deal for me, as I don't use Java currently, so no
rush to solve from my standpoint, but I was just wondering.