egcs 1.1b installation successful (except for some linker probs)

Hi,

As requested in the installation instructions for egcs, I'm reporting a
successful installation of egcs 1.1b on a Solaris 2.5 sun sparc ultra
1.

One problem I did note, which is probably known and obvious to
those of you working on egcs is that I am now restricted to using
one linker, unlike my installation of gcc 2.8.1

My installation of gcc 2.8.1 was compiled using the sun supplied
linker. At a later date, I downloaded and installed the gnu linker
(from the binutils 2.9.1 distribution), since it gives more detailed
information when the linkage is unsuccessful. I was able to use both
linkers at will, and switch between them easily.

When compiling egcs I used the sun linker again - for no particular
reason (in fact, I didn't really think about it). When I recompiled the
project I am working on, the compilation process was successful,
but the (GNU) linker reported "Bad value" in the egcs libgcc.a file. I
switched back to the sun linker for my project - I did a make, and I
found some undefined symbols - these arose from the gcc 2.8.1
object files - when I did a completely clean make and using the sun
linker, everything worked fine. I did a completely clean make
again, but this time I used the Gnu linker, and just got the same error
as last time.

At the moment, I haven't got the time to see what happens if I
recompile the entire egcs distribution and use the gnu linker.

While I'm on this list, I've got a question, which is not immediately
obvious to me from the egcs website - how does the development
of egcs relate to the development of gcc? Have the gcc
development efforts been diverted to egcs, or are there groups of
people working on both projects? I'm just interested as a keen gcc
user.

Regards,
Sean.

-----