Re: [OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

 Jeff> I do not think the man pages are currently generated from the
 Jeff> info files.  That would certainly be a better way to handle
 Jeff> them.

I concur with the comments in g77.1, but is there any facility for
formatting Texinfo in the man layout anyhow?

 Jeff> Thoughts from the rest of this list on adding a new configure
 Jeff> time option to disable installation of the info files?

I'm appalled at the idea of encouraging people to drop the online
documentation.  More than enough don't read it as it is, at least in
the g77 world.  I, for one, use it even to read stuff I wrote (a small
fraction, but representing not insignificant effort).

It's a condition of making binary distributions that they include
g77.info*, BTW -- see the documentation.  Also (currently too few) g77
error messages reference the info documentation and Compilation mode
in either the next Emacs or the one after will hyperlink them in
rms-approved fashion, kudos to Craig.  I know some people don't use
Emacs, but presumably an Infuriating Development Environment could
grok the information.