Re: Warnings in the C++ Front-End and GCC in General

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Joern Rennecke wrote:

> > Sure, numbers are
> > obscure, but that can be turned into advantage: user's won't overuse the
> > feature if it's difficult to use.
> If the objective is to make this feature difficult to use, we can require
> them to formulate the to-be-excluded errors as a regexp, supply this to
> egrep -v as an argument, and pipe the diagnostic output through this
> egrep command.
>
> This has the additional advantage that this feature is already implemented.

Do I smell a sarcasm here? :-) Let's pretend that I don't:

Your proposal has one serious disadvantage: it is a nightmare to maintain
a Makefile providing this sort of facilities. You need an explicit rule
for every source file being compiled. Also, in case of sources that are
being actively developed, line numbers will change all the time, requiring
accompanying changes to the grep expressions in the Makefile.

Clearly, this solution is not practical.

/ Kamil Iskra    AmigaOS  Linux/i386  Linux/m68k               \
| GeekGadgets GCC maintainer   UNIX system administrator       |
| iskra@student.uci.agh.edu.pl  kiskra@ernie.icslab.agh.edu.pl |
\ kamil@dwd.interkom.pl   http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~iskra /