Re: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x

  In message <199808231737.KAA16112@dm.cobaltmicro.com>you write:
  >    Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
  >    From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
  >
  >    However, I will continue to ignore developers who don't say "we
  >    will fix it eventually", but instead say "let's remove the feature,
  >    we'll never be able to fix it".
  >
  > And the egcs team has not said the latter.  But they will turn the
  > feature off until such time as the fix is made, since it generates
  > incorrect code.
May I suggest we all just chill out for a day or two.

Andi brought up a good point that I think is worth thinking about.

It should be safe to call regparm functions from assembly code, so it
may make sense to document regparm as working for functions called
strictly by assembly code until we can fix reload to DTRT.  It may
even be possible to have the compiler issue a warning/error when C
code calls a regparm function.

That may or may not be acceptable to the kernel folks.  It does
restrict the usefullness of regparm, but still leaves it available
for the cases where we should be able to make it work.

So, let's all back off and think about this for 24-48 hours.

jeff