Re: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x

David S. Miller wrote:
>   From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
>   However, I will continue to ignore developers who don't say "we
>   will fix it eventually", but instead say "let's remove the feature,
>   we'll never be able to fix it".

>And the egcs team has not said the latter.  But they will turn the
>feature off until such time as the fix is made, since it generates
>incorrect code.

There always have been features which generated incorrect code in some
cases (heck, due to generic (but rare) bugs in gcc, all features eventually
generate incorrect code).
Disabling the feature completely creates a chicken and egg problem.  If nobody
is able to use/test the feature, they'll not find out where it doesn't
work and it will likely not be fixed (there is little incentive to fix).

Chances are that (without having looked at egcs yet) simply not-allowing
indirect function calls to regparm functions fixes the problem completely.
I'll admit that actually fixing it correctly is a bit more involved and
probably not doable by your casual programmer who was just looking to see
his program running correctly, instead of planning on fixing gcc.

Given all the positive feedback, I'm thinking about getting
back in the game again and dig out my gcc patches to try and see
how much of it can be carried over to egcs.
--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Skiing beyond this point may result in death and/or loss of skiing privileges.