Re: IRIX 6.x issues

Tor,

 no comment on the mips4 issue. I was not aware of
it, but then my good old Indy is 32-bit anyway :-)

 I can imagine one way to make egcs produce o32 code
under IRIX-6.x. Configure it for mips-sgi-irix5.3 and
"--use-gas" (you also need gnu-as build for mips-sgi-irix5.3).
This was they way I could make 2.7.2.x work on IRIX-6.x.
Hint: "setenv SGI_ABI "-32"" when you build gnu-as and
bootstrap egcs.

 I am not totally sure why o32 support was removed from
gcc-2.8.x/egcs for IRIX-6.x. Maybe someone else can
comment on it.

Martin
===
Martin Knoblauch
email: knobi@knobisoft.de or knobi@rocketmail.com
www:   http://www.knobisoft.de

---Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no> wrote:

> I have successfully built 980816 on IRIX 6.2 with the 6.2 (not
MIPSPro)
> compiler[1].
>
> There are a couple of things about egcs and IRIX 6.x I hope somebody
has
> some time to comment on (in the meantime I'm looking at the source :-)
>
> 1. The mabi=32 format (o32 in SGI terminology) is not supported
> 2. The mabi=64 format does not support mips3 (even when -mips3 is
specified
>    it generates mips4)
>
> The first is a half-killer for me.  The second is a full-killer,
because
> it means that egcs cannot be used to create 64-bit applications on
> Challenge-L/XL servers, as they use r4400 chips (mips4 is
r5000/8000/10000).
> Or, rather, they can be created but they cannot be executed.
>
> Could somebody comment on how hard it would be to fix these?  So far
I've
> seen code and comments in gcc/config/mips.c that disables mabi=32.
Looks