Re: egcs-1.1 status (PPC)

  In message <98082002071800.00686@ns1102.munich.netsurf.de>you write:
  > And the bug reported by Gary seems to be fixed already (probably
  > the change to haifa-sched.c).
Possibly.  I'll look at it closely.  The haifa change fixes a very
specific problem that I can identify relatively easily.

  >  But is the PIC problem really that difficult? I thought the
  > difference between -fpic and -fPIC wasn't that big, and -fPIC
  > works with the test case.
It's not a -fpic vs -fPIC issue.

The problem is trying to allocate the PIC register during reload.

ie, before reload we didn't think we needed the PIC register, during
reload something happens and we force a value into the static store.
To get to that value we have to use a PIC sequence, but we haven't
allocated a PIC register yet.  Blam we die.

Given time and inclination I could probably expose the same problem
with -fpic.

jeff