EGCS as a Cross-compiler and Binutils

Dear egcs guys,

     Referring to http://cygnus.com/install/build.html, in the paragraph named
"Building a cross compiler", the fourth line reads:

   "Build target tools for use by the compiler such as gas, gld, and binutils
if they have been properly unpacked into the egcs source tree."

I have downloaded binutils-2.9.1.tar.gz from ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu, and have
installed cygwin32 on my system.  Assuming that the egcs source tree top-level
directory is named egcs_src, could you please send me an example of what

you mean by "properly unpacking binutils, gas, gld, etc" into the egcs source
tree.

Because my target is a mips machine I MUST use gas and gld.  Thus, I need to
know how to do this right.  Also, the crossgcc FAQ is not helpful because it
recommends putting binutils and gcc into totally separate trees, and
building each separately, rather than trying to put them both under a single
source tree, and building them together as
your document describes.

Thanks a lot, and have a nice day.

Dennis
dnewbold@ivs.com

|  The way to be happy is to be good.    |