Re: Succeeded with Alpha+19980803, some feedback

At 10:22 PM 8/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>  > 2. For some reason "make install" is trying to
>  >    put something in /usr/local (and failing,
>  >    since I'm not running as root).  I find this
>  >    odd given the configure options I used.
>  >    I'm not sure yet what or why; I'll pass along
>  >    more details if/when I figure it out.
>Even just knowing what files it's trying to install into /usr/local
>would be a big help in tracking down problems.
>
>jeff

Ok, I did some poking around.  I can't find any evidence
that anything is trying to write any specific file to that
directory when the error is reported; maybe the error causes
the install to divert files to the prefix location, but
I'm just guessing about that.  It simply looks like
the gcc-specific part of the install thinks its installdir
is /usr/local.  From what I could tell, the problem appears
in $objdir/gcc/Makefile.  The error message appears when
line #3402 gets executed.

Note: you may need to blow away the installed files in
= Reid M. Pinchback                                =
= I/T Delivery, MIT                                =
= Email:   reidmp@mit.edu                          =