g77/gcc vs Irix6.4 cc/f90: Livermore Kernels

using MipsPro 7.2 cc (for kernels only) as well as f90.  The
results (Geometric mean performance, Mflops):

egcs-19980803/g77:    116
Irix cc:                               125
Irix f90                               144

I currently have the g77 source for this on
ftp://members.aol.com/n8tm/lloops.shar.gz.   I will revise this to
add:

full egcs compatible C source (tested on w95/cygwin32)
C source for kernel.c, tested on Irix CC
C source for etime_.c to support running on WinAPI
detailed output from LK for Irix CC
README discussing problems with
clock()/etime/cpu_time/system_clock

If anyone wants the C code to use break instead of goto, find me
an f2c which handles this.   There are about 40 of them.

The challenge issued last week was for someone to add
multiply-add instruction support for mips-sgi-irix6, in hopes of
bringing gcc/g77 up to the performance of Irix C.  As there don't
appear to be any aliasing issues between gcc and g77 for this
benchmark, they probably will perform about the same (as they
do on Pentium II).