egcs installed

Hi,
I just installed installed egcs 1.0.3a on two machines (this week).

sparc-sun-solaris2.6
(installed as user in $HOME/local/)

i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1
(installed as su in /usr/local/)

the only trouble I had was (as mentioned in the FAQ) a stray : in a LIB_PATH
and (more annoyying) the include directories (both c++ and gcc) were given
permissions of 700.  I didn't notice this on the sun (since I'm the user)
but I just checked it and it happened there too.  On the PC I had to go
and reset the permissions on those directories after I found the error.

It was minor, but could be easily corrected (I'd rather someone who is familiar
with the Makefiles do the correcting though :-)

I did not run the test suite, but all of the programs I tried to compile with
it worked beautifully.  The only changes that were really nec. were a few header
changes (and occasionally fixing some non-standard C++).

In particular, I decided to install egcs instead of sticking with gcc-2.7.2.x
when I found a trivial exception example in Stroustroup 3rd Ed which I needed
to use (catching alloc errors) and found I could not.  It works fine now.

Thanks for putting this all together.

David

David J. Chase
Sr. Analyst, Columbia Energy