Re: typedef vs. typename confusion

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Joe Buck wrote:
> That is, whereever the compiler is in effect inserting "typename" (or,
> to be more correct, where the compiler is assuming that a name refers
> to a type, even though by the strict ISO C++ rules it should not), it
> should issue a warning.  This warning should have its own flag but be
> turned on by -Wall.

I strongly second this!

Current practice is that every three months or so, suddenly some code of
ours stops compiling after I have installed a new egcs snapshot, exactly
because of "typename" issues. (And yes, we compile with -ansi -pedantic.)

So I really would like to see behavior similiar to what happened when
the new scoping semantics for for(;;) loops was introduced -- not just
automatic correction but also warnings whenever that happens.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/