Re: testing Octave

On 12 Aug 1998, Dave Love wrote:

> In case anyone with plenty of cycles and bytes can to try it on other
> systems, it turns out you need the patch at
> <URL:http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/bug-octave/1998/270>
> for some C++-ism which egcs now rejects.

Octave has proven to be a pretty good test case for a large'ish mixed
language package, and I've been using it to test cygwin32 since before
1.0 release. Do note however that it's not that good of a test case for
complex C++ templates (uses rather simple templates that even 2.7.2 can
handle) and exceptions (doesn't use EH) etc; it's a much better testcase
for the widely used FORTRAN packages that are part of it.

The patch above was something I put together in a rush to test pre-1.1,
and John Eaton hasn't had time to look at it yet; use it at your own risk.

Regards,
Mumit