egcs/ld issues

OK I have some problems.  I built egcs with --host=sparc-sun-linux-gnulibc1
(This is on an ultrasparc) and installed it, and things ran fine.  Then I
rebuilt binutils, but let the host default (it went to
sparc64-unknown-linux) and installed and tested (or _thought_ I tested) them
under a chrooted environment and then installed those.  After that, things
stopped working (configure scripts produced ld errors, such as the one
below).

I thought the compile procedure was binutils, gcc/egcs, binutils, libc, etc.
but guess I did something wrong.  Should I not have recompiled binutils
again, or should I have forced them to a sparc-sun-linux-gnulibc1 host when
compiling?  What messed up and why? Are there options I can feed ld to make
it work? (And now for my favorite:) How do I recover from this best?
Options are restoring from backups, or trying to compile on another 32 bit
machine with a --target=sparc-sun-linux-gnulibc1

Thanks ,Nils.

[lohner@xia01 testdir]$ make proggie
cc     proggie.c   -o proggie
/usr/bin/ld: warning: sparc:v9 architecture of input file `/tmp/ccHs689E.o'
is incompatible with sparc output
/usr/bin/ld: bfd assertion fail elflink.h:2044

[lohner@xia01 testdir]$ ./proggie
Illegal Instruction (core dumped)

[lohner@xia01 testdir]$ cat proggie.c
 #include <stdio.h>
main()
{
 int i;
  i=0; printf("i=%d\n", i);
  i++; printf("i=%d\n", i);
}

[lohner@xia01 testdir]$ gcc --version
egcs-2.91.52

[lohner@xia01 testdir]$ ld --version
GNU ld 2.9.1
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
  Supported emulations:
   elf64_sparc
   elf32_sparc
   sparclinux