optimisation internals question

I have some some optimisations (about long long e.g) that I would like to
add to gcc.  The problem is that I cannot convince gcc to use them.

I have put my optimisations in simplify_rtx, but although my rewrite rules
are executed and a new rtx is returned by simplify_rtx, it is not choosen
because recog_for_combine fails for it.  That is normal because
the new rtx would map to two instruction patterns (or more), not
on one.  Is there a way in simplify_rtx to tell the combiner where
are the split-points of the new rtx, or should I move those optimisations
to somewhere else ?

Philippe De Muyter (phdm@macqel.be)