Re: Incrementing volatiles?

> eieio stands for "Enforce In-Order Execution of I/O".

... and it is definitely my favorite name for an assembly language
instruction (the non-native-English speakers on the list presumably
don't know the childhood song "Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O").

> Without it a powerpc
> processor assumes that it may reorder the load and stores to memory-mapped
> I/O registers.

It would seem that on processors with this property, yes, you should get
an eieio in cases where otherwise, the I/O order might change, at least
where it is really needed.

How do the Linux/ppc people deal with this?  I see no "eieio" instructions
in the arch/ppc part of the 2.0.30 kernel.