Re: cross compilation and headers.

At 05:56 -0700 1998-06-09, Franz Sirl wrote:
>I would think the target headers should be in
>/usr/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/include assuming --prefix=/usr and
>--target=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu on a glibc-2.0.9x linux system.

When configured with '--with-includes=$(PREFIX)/include' on my system, the
target headers were moved by 'make cross' to
$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/sys-include.

I therefore assume that is where the target headers should be placed.

In my case, $PREFIX was /usr/local/powerpc-cross and $TARGET was
powerpc-linux-gnu. Host is i586-pc-linux-gnu.

>>Do i also need the target kernel headers ? linux/include/asm-ppc and
>>linux/include/linux ?
>
>Probably yes, since they are used by glibc. But since they are links also
>in /usr/include anyway, it's probably easy to do. One thing I don't know is
>if the links have to point to kernel-sources configure for powerpc cross
>compilation...

$(PREFIX)/include doesn't seem to be used by the cross compilers, so the
links would need to be in $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/sys-include.

BTW, it'd be nice if egcs had a INSTALL file similar to the one gcc 2.8.x
comes with, I found its section on cross-compiling very helpful (even with
egcs), whereas the Cygnus Cross-compiling FAQ the egcs docs point to was
less than helpful (to me at least).
I suppose I could see about incorporating the gcc 2.8.1 'INSTALL' into the
current egcs docs (as a patch) myself if anyone is interested.

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker
Debian GNU/Linux Developer