Mark Mitchell's 15-May toplev.c patch breaks some Fortran statementfunctions

Dave Love wrote:

>  The cause of the grief is:
>
>  Fri May 15 18:49:30 1998  Mark Mitchell
>  <mmitchell@usa.net>
>
>  	* toplev.c (rest_of_compilation): Don't defer
>  	nested functions.

So, naturally, I tried to look up this change to see the rationale
behind it, but as far as I can see this was never discussed here.

Mark, could you dig up *why* this change was necessary ?

Note that, although strictly speaking the new way of compiling
statement functions in Fortran resulting from this change is not in
conflict with the Fortran Standard, it will sure be seen as a (lack
of) quality of implementation.

Please help us out.

Thanks,
Toon.