Re: rotten egcs causing gas pains

   Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:35:13 -0600
   From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

   Yup.  There's definitely still problems in this area on the MIPS
   ports.  They're rarely triggered and haven't been a priority to
   fix.

Actually there is one frequently compiled piece of code which hits
this, the lat_ctx benchmark from Lmbench version 1.0
This is where I first saw it.  Early on most people didn't see it
since gcc was configured almost always using the IRIX assembler and
linker.  But now that binutils is more up to snuff on IRIX systems,
and also is used always on Linux MIPS systems, it will become more of
an ordeal.

Last I spoke to Richard Henderson about this problem, it's really not
terribly difficult to fix, because once you have that piece of code in
tc-mips.c output the necessary instructions, the process will continue
recursively fixing up any new relocs generated etc.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com