Re: GCC

> I have read duscussions on the FreeBSD lists that EGCS have to be compiled
> differently to handle threaded and non-threaded compilation, IIRC.
> gcc does "gcc" or "gcc -pthread". That alone would make GCC lightyears
> better then EGCS. Anything but a runtime option is just not even considerable.
>
> The question now goes, is this true?

As far as I know, this is wrong in multiple aspects.

First, there is no -pthread option to gcc 2.8.

Second, egcs does not generate different code for threaded or
non-threaded systems.

egcs does ask for a thread package during configuration, so that the
C++ and Objective C runtime systems can use them if they are available.
This is important e.g. for thread-safe exception handling, a feature
currently not supported by gcc2.

Regards,
Martin