Re: KDE and egcs

Hi H.J. -

Thank you for your offer to help.  After I installed libstdc++-2.8.0
everything worked out.  I was a little confused at first because the egcs
developers mention that the standard c++ libraries come with the compiler
but apparently those who created the RPM binaries I used to install egcs
on my system did not include the libraries by default so I had to fetch
them from the same place and install them.  So far I have successfully
compiled kdebase, kdelibs, kdesupport, kdegames, kdegraphics, and am
currently working on kdenetwork and the rest of the packages.

I had no choice but to use egcs.  I have recently purchased SWiM motif 2.1
binaries compiled with the stock compiler that comes as part of RedHat
5.0.  All of the code I compiled which used motif was not behaving
correctly.  There were lots of problems with seg faults and file
filtering...etc. For two months I badgered the motif support personnel at
LSL regarding the problems.  They finally figured out that the
c++ compiler in gcc-2.7.2.1 that comes stock with redhat 5.0 was not
generating the correct code.  They sent me via email new binaries compiled
with egcs-1.02.  I installed this compiler on my system and suddenly
the programs I have that make use of the motif shared libs are working
great.  I recompiled my kernel with egcs and recompiled WindowMaker 0.14.1
also but I noticed that WindowMaker became exceedingly sluggish.  It
worked but performance was very poor.  I decided to move to fvwm 2.0.46
that came with RedHat 5.0 until I could find another solution.  I hope I
will not have similar problems with KDE but I have to wait and see.  If
KDE works well with my box such as it is then I will forego WindowMaker
altogether.  GNUStep is nice but right now it is developing slowly.  KDE
seems to be progressing much faster so I guess I'll just move over to it.

Would you consider making the egcs-1.03 release available as a binary RPM?
For some reason I still have gotten around to figuring out how to create
SPEC files and source RPMs on my redhat box.  Compiling a source RPM is a
piece of cake if you have a working compiler.

Thanks..........

Juan Casero
email:  casero@beowulf.cox.miami.edu
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a