Re: Maybe you can help...

  In message <353D02A6.406C1928@txc.com>you write:
  > However, when moving on to GDB we have hit a
  > stumbling block in that the current release of GDB
  > (4.16) does not support the MIPS target.  When
  > trying to build GDB for this target, I get an
  > error indicating: "*** BFD does not support target
  > mips-mips-none".  This is the target type which I
  > specified in build GAS without problems.  Upon
  > further inspection I found that the current
  > release of GDB is significantly older than the
  > current release of GAS (2.8.1) ... and many of the
  > shared files between GDB and GAS have been updated
  > in the GAS version which we have.
This is normal version skew.

Your best bet might be to wait a little while.

The latest binutils release is 2.9.  gdb-4.17 is in beta test
right now.  They ought to be pretty close in terms of shared
code.

Note that you still need to be careful -- bfd interfaces change
rapidly, often without warning/documentation.

jeff